Monday, May 11, 2009

Dream States

I've always been a weary advocate of sleep.  Sleep, to me, is like getting a free ticket to children's talent show, I never really want to go, but once there, imaginary doors open to weird and freaky things that dive backflips across the empty gaps left from daily routine and unresolved callings.  Sleep can be one of those things that can both scare us straight - pointing us to the arrow of uncertainty, or calm us down - filtering into the depths of a billowing core.  It allows our minds to ease and replenish the ever draining activity of daily life - and feels so satisfying at the moment of a nice wake-up - as if at that moment, life is being lived with no terms and conditions - no contracts - no line-ups.  

Rapidly Moving Sockets
My fascination with a good sleep began when I started toying with my sleep patterns - A few experiments were in place which included a stint with late-night grocery stocking, several all-night music disc-jockeys displays and countless hours awake in utter disturbance, meditative calm and devastatingly painful sorrow.  As the time passed into dusk, at the point the Moon began to crust over it's wallowing eyes and rejoin the dance across the sky, and hours after the Sun shut it's radiative blinders from the mirrors of our rear views, I  would enter a semi-conscious state.  Now for clarification purposes, these times were only in absence of hydrogenated aldehydes (or alcohol in better framed references), as altered states of madness cannot occur at the same time.  But during these times of sleep and alcoholic deprivation, I would become more aware of innate objects, more discern for things that were previously indiscernible.  Real was no longer real, and the unreal became mundane and bland.  

Lunar Context
On very few occasions I've had the chance to experience the quagmire of dream states - the mid-sleep illusionary conscious walk - the walk that defines the zombies thirst for brains - the walk that feels no walls, sees no light and hears no pain - the walk that defines purpose and resolve from the subconscious to act out it's dreams, the sleep walk.  The sleep walk takes focus, determination and the utmost release of all concerns intermittent along the path to the one thing - the Goal.  Goals vary widely in the sleep walk, from pre-programmed routine analyses involving water drinking, bathroom breaking, tooth brushing, sandwich making, milk heating, phone calling, roller skating, TV taping - the state of the dream recounts the desires of instinctual, innate bio-formulated thought - as random as random is perpetuated from waves of time.  


Deja Vu
When arising from a deep sleep, such as in most mornings, I'm the opposite - and at this point, I've dedicated myself to a life of slothing - content in the filth and layers of moon crust in my eyes and nose, just laying around waiting for the next chance to lay a round.  The toxic stench from my mouth is little bother - and the prospect of constructing some type of latrine within the boundaries of the bedsheets seems logical at the very first few moments of the morning -  to summarize - mornings are most often when I feel the least like myself.   

As mentioned, although the wild swings in attitudinal beliefs beliefs  towards sleep present a possibly disdain for mornings, I am a true, practicing advocate of sleep.   Through my activism, I revolt against the modern day norms of 9-5 pushing the hours away in my attempts to redefine time from the originators who awoke from their dreams as the early birders plucking worms - who disturb slumbers in the wake of weariness.   I practice patience as my snores and growly snares overtake my defiance in the most restful silence - the revolution of sleep is not one practiced on the doorsteps of a capitol, it is practiced in the dwindling tug of gravity as the Moon pulls its pulley from the Sun.  It beckons soundless words, ballooning matter, and chaos in fusion to the slightest repetitive beats of the heart, and diaphragmic pulses of air - focussing thoughts into waves of inner relaxation - and the renewal of the spirit... 

"The lunatic is a wakeful dreamer" - Kant

3 comments:

  1. Mr Scruff... I'm a fan too.

    I too am a great advocate of sleep - for the dreams; they are so vivid I refer to sleep as my other life. I could spend all my life dreaming and not a moment would be a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salvador Dali said something along the lines of 'When I am asleep in this world, I am awake in another.'

    I agree with him, and you, CC-D -and you, too adaelamoon. Like the spaces between notes in a musical composition, sleep is every bit as essential as our so-called waking hours.

    I really enjoy the angle & content of your blog, CC-D and value the comments you make on mine. This morning, I added you to the list of blogs I follow; hope that's okay with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both your comments - it's strange to admit, but I often keep myself awake before sleep, eyelids closed and watch my dreams dance, literally, right before my eyes.

    Adaelamoon - I definitely agree that sleep is another life, and as you mentioned Claire, is the duality to our 'real' world, or anti-matter to our matter...

    What I find the strangest part, is how different our minds can feel under the deprivation of sleep - as if the 'voids' need to be exercised and exist in order for perceived senses to be tolerable.

    Thank you for the add - it is most appreciated - I've had blogger issues with following (errors), but do get updates from both your sites...

    ReplyDelete